Sunday, March 30, 2014

An Ordinary Day

The quilt one of my sisters-in-law made for me
because she is both kind and talented.
Yesterday was a very ordinary day.  Which made it something remarkable and something worth celebrating.  It was finally a day with cancer that wasn't about cancer.

It was a Saturday, which meant I didn't have radiation therapy.  Which also meant I didn't have any other medical appointments.  Which meant I didn't have to see anyone in any form of scrubs or lab coats at all, all day long.  Cool.

I am, of course, very grateful for the people in scrubs and lab coats who are working hard to keep me alive using their collective hard earned skills and knowledge, and I'm blessed to be able to say I'm always treated with kindness by them.  But, still, it's darn nice to have a day without medical visits.  Darn nice.

So what did I do instead?

I cooked breakfast.  I helped my daughter get ready for sports practice.  I went with one of my sisters-in-law to pick up my daughter and we all went to a quilt show.  We enjoyed the quilts.  We went out to lunch.  All 3 of us laughed and had a good time.  I popped popcorn and my daughter and I watched a movie together. I drove my daughter over to her grown-up sister's place so they could have some fun together (and you can bet they will, they're both really special people (I'm totally biased, but that doesn't make it any less true) and that's what they do when they're together) and on the way there my daughter and I had a good talk about cancer and life and some of all that's going on, which was both a good and important conversation to have. When I got home, my husband had bought me a dozen roses just because.  Lots of great things packed into that one day.

The day was helped along by great people, of course, but also because yesterday, my injection sites were feeling better, the Faslodex/Xgeva soreness and stomach pains were wearing off, and the radiated hip let me walk up, down, and all around with only occasional and very mild twinges.  I am probably still more emotional than usual, but the shock is more behind me now and I'm feeling pretty balanced, all things considered.

Which means yesterday was just a day of normal-person stuff.  Maybe more than I usually pack into one day, but more to the point, a day not about cancer and not overshadowed by cancer.  It was so good.

It came at a time when I really needed it, and I'm thrilled to have been able to have it.  I know some days will be more tedious or stressful or totally unproductive and no one knows what kind of days may come.  But this one was the kind of day that gives me peace and I enjoyed it immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment