Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I wish I had breast cancer

The much discussed ad
Did any of you follow the controversy a few months ago about the pancreatic cancer charity ad which featured the image of a pancreatic cancer patient named Kerry and her quote, "I wish I had breast cancer"?

The reaction was, unsurprisingly, fairly negative and centered around the messed up idea of setting up a competition between cancers.  HuffPost's summary here does a good job of articulating the response.

And, in breast cancer circles, there was, understandably, a lot of dismay that this woman and this ad would treat our misfortune so lightly.

But , I have a confession to make.  In a lot of ways, I actually agree with her.

Pancreatic cancer has a poor survival rate and for a 24 year old kid to find herself in the position that Kerry in the ad finds herself in, that really, really stinks.

And the thing about breast cancer is that everyone knows about the breast cancer and its fundraising juggernaut, and if you happen to forget, each October brings another round of reminders.  It's also one of the most commonly diagnosed types of cancer in the US, so it touches a lot of lives and gives a lot of people a reason to know about it.  So, of course, with all that fundraising and interest has come probably way too much "awareness" but also research.  And the research has brought about some good advances in treatment.

Then there's also the fact that unlike a pancreas, breast cancer doesn't start in a place you need to keep.  A mastectomy is, technically, an amputation, but let's face it, losing those parts isn't incomparable with life.  It's emotional, it's surgery, it's not without risks, but you just don't need breasts the way you need a pancreas, or lungs, or a liver, or blood, or kidneys, or your brain.  So there's also that.

But the biggest thing about breast cancer is what many people think they know about it.  The fundraising goes hand in hand a veritable cottage industry of inspirational stories to the point where everyone "knows" you just have to get mammograms to find it early.  Everyone "knows" it can be taken care of as long as you get those mammograms.  Everyone "knows" there's a whole inspirational army of survivors who get together at Relay for Life and speak at dinners in October and share their brave stories about beating cancer.

When Kerry in the ad says she'd rather have breast cancer, I guess she's wishing for the "early detection saves lives" kind of breast cancer; the "tough situations don't last but tough people do" kind of breast cancer, the "I caught my cancer early and I'm a 10 year survivor (look at all my pretty pink stuff!)" kind of breast cancer.  And that's the part I understand.

Because, honestly, I'm with Kerry on this one.  As long as you  define breast cancer as the detectable, treatable, easily survivable, inspirational sisterhood kind of cancer that we all "know" about, and as long as you leave out the terminal metastatic breast cancer that often does get left out, then sure, I'd rather have that "breast cancer" then what I have, too.

Problem is, they aren't actually different diseases and you never know when the "harmless" kind is going to turn out to be not.

3 comments:

  1. Okay. I can see your side. Its a horrible disease for such a young woman. I am sure there are many other things she wishes she had instead of pancreatic cancer - which takes no prisoners. I think anyone with any type of cancer wishes they had something else. But the charity is the problem here. They should not have used this phrase for anything. Maybe they could have said - I wish I would live for another 50 years.... But comparing breast cancer to pancreatic cancer? Just plain stupid on their part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, that's a good point about the charity and money changing hands here. I don't disagree with this young woman and I wish all cancer (including real life breast cancer) was as simple as it's often portrayed, and that's where I was going with this, but I think you're right about using it for purposes other than self expression. Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comJune 16, 2014 at 1:46 AM

    Hello Kathryn,

    I hope all is well. Healthline just published these inspiring quotes about breast cancer from celebrities who battled the disease. Our audience really enjoyed them and gave us great feedback on how powerful and inspirational they are. You can see them here: http://www.healthline.com/health/breast-cancer/quotes

    I thought they would be of interest to your followers as well, and I wanted to see if you would include it as a resource on your page: http://mepluscancer.blogspot.com/2014/05/i-wish-i-had-breast-cancer.html

    Please let me know if this would be possible. I’m happy to answer any other questions as well.

    Thanks so much!
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete