Friday, July 4, 2014

Tumor Markers (or more good news!)

Chagall - Dance
This weekend I spent a day with a bunch of fabulous ladies who I've been friends with since my days as an overstressed and insecure undergrad (yes, that's right they knew me when and like me anyway, how about that?).  It was a wonderful time, and, truth be told, it was also just what I needed.  I've been a bit of a stressmonger with all this cancer stuff, and hanging out with old friends chatting, eating, and mulling over life was really nice.

And, you know what else was really, really nice (and cancer related)?  While I was there I got a call from my husband telling me I got a report in the mail from my doctor with the results from a recent tumor marker test which, like my scan results, point to good news.

I had gotten a blood work order in the mail in late March or early April that indicated I'd be getting the usual cancer blood work and also something called CA27.29.  At the time, reading the list of tests, I had actually assumed this CA business was something to do with calcium--not true, but what I thought at the time.

In fairness to myself, Ca is the chemical symbol for calcium and bone mets can put too much calcium into the blood because it dissolves the bones and Xgeva can leave you with too little calcium in the blood because keeps the bones from dissolving in a superpowered kind of way, so it wasn't that crazy a guess (or at least that's what I tell myself).

I really do try not to get my cancer knowledge unquestioned from the internet, but of course I later googled it.

It's obviously true that I'm not an oncologist and also true cancer doesn't give you super cancer knowledge because it turns out CA 27.29 has nothing at all to do with calcium.  The CA actually stands for "cancer antigen" and, as it happens, the test checks levels of a specific something that cancer can give off into the blood (for anyone interested, the best website I found on it is here).

I'd read other people posting about "tumor markers" and it turns out that these are what they were talking about--who knew?

So, not to belabor the point (or at least not to belabor it more than my belabor loving self can't help but do), I had the same test again on my blood work order for June and I got a report in the mail last Saturday.  The report listed my CA 27.29 lab report for June and a note from my oncologist:
This tumor marker came down from [number here] in April--Looks good
I'm still not an oncologist, and I do understand that at some point things will most likely change and we'll need more and more different treatments and "out of the woods" isn't something that happens with metastatic cancer, but when my oncologist says "Looks good," well, what the heck, I'll take it!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kathryn for your informative post, The different type of treatment has identified the cancer antigen because its a chemical symbol.

    ReplyDelete