Saturday, January 10, 2015

Victorious

NC Wyeth, WWII
With this week's good report, I'm trying to be strutting around (on the inside) and feeling victorious.  I was genuinely feeling that way for a couple of days, but then I heard about a couple of people who aren't doing well and some things about a couple drugs in development that aren't that good and suddenly it feels like a weird thing to be feeling so great about a good report when I know I still have incurable cancer.

Maybe it's because every good tragedy has those temporary highs to key up the emotion before the great fall.  Hamlet had his "I gotcha" play within a play, MacBeth was crowned king and so was Oedipus, even Romeo and Juliet were married with a plan. And obviously every one of these characters fell.  And fell hard.

Maybe somewhere inside I'm sort of thinking, "well, if I can manage to avoid the glorious high part, the one where I think I'm all that because I have no idea what the future holds, you won't be able to go on with the part about the terrible downfall, right?"  I guess I forget sometimes that the author of my life isn't Shakespeare (you can tell, just look at my words, not very melodious and not a bit of iambic pentameter, or at least not on purpose).

Besides, we live in a culture that frowns on that kind of thing.  When I say, "Pride goeth before a fall," you're probably not thinking, "Who says 'goeth'?" Because, it's that familiar to us.

And so I need to keep keep reminding myself that I can celebrate this good news and not think too hard about the next scans or the ones after that or the ones after that.  My husband and I have a joke about getting the 10,000 steps a day: "How do you get 10,000 steps? You take 1 step 10,000 times!" (yes, we're really that corny, that's another reason you know the author of our lives isn't Shakespeare).  If I'm fortunate enough to live a decade it will be because I've strung together good scans 3 months at a time 40 times in a row, not because anything could made it so I could just relax and know I'm good to go for the next 5 years or so.  Stupid cancer doesn't work that way.  I just heard about a woman who made it 5 years on Faslodex and just now has progression--there may be rhyme and reason, but I sure can't see it.

But at the same time, who would want to look back over 10 years of beating cancer and realize that it was just ten long years of stress and worry about what the future held?  If I'm lucky enough to make it 5 years on Faslodex, do I really want that to be 5 years of fear and trepidation?

So I'm pushing myself to live in the moment.  Allow myself to feel victorious today and not to worry too much about tomorrow.  Go all Matthew 6:17 on this business and have a little party.

Sometimes my blog is pretty much just one long attempt to talk myself out of worrying (one more reason you know Shakespeare had nothing to do with this, he'd have let me go on this way for a minute, tops, before throwing in a comical secondary character and a few bawdy jokes to lighten things up already).

So instead, today, this afternoon, I'll be trying something different.  Today I'm going to be poking the universe with a sharp stick and pretending I'm not afraid.  And every time I think, "well, but..." I'm following that up with, "JUST STOP IT!"  Because I can't really stop bad things by tempering good things, that's just dumb.

Besides, you know what?  My latest scans were pretty awesome and physically I feel great.  So there is that. 

I'll have let you know later how this little experiment works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment