Wednesday, November 6, 2013

That's how it goes

I've been thinking for a while about starting a blog to share my thoughts and experiences after completing cancer treatment.  I was diagnosed with Stage IIIa Grade 3 breast cancer in the spring of 2012 and completed surgery, chemo, and radiation therapy in January of 2013.

The thing with being done with cancer is that you're never really done with cancer.  Aches and pains, coughs, and nerve pins that would otherwise be "getting older" are always ominous.   You never know if cancer cells are hiding dormant and ready to spring to life.  Plus, you never know if maybe they've already sprung.

I know I sound inappropriately pessimistic, especially since I'm supposed to be all decked out in pink boas and tiaras and singing about how strong and brave I am.  But, truth is, while I am usually very cheerful (no, really), I also believe my oncologist when she says I have a 1 in 3 chance of having to go back into battle with this beast sooner or later.  Also, for what it's worth, I am far more compliant and hard working than I am strong or brave, but I think those qualities will still do in a pinch.

In the 10 months since I completed active treatment, there have been 3 significant scares, 2 clean MRIs, and one worrisome X-ray with a follow-up CT scan that I get to find out more about later today.  Seems like as good a time as any to start a blog, right?  

Which also means this may be a blog about moving on and dealing with the idea of reoccurrence, or it may suddenly become a blog about living with metastatic disease--stay tuned to find out (see, I don't even have readers yet and already my blog has stay-tuned surprises)!

So, those are the basics for where you find me.  Welcome to my blog, and thank you for being one of my readers and joining me for this ride!

And away we go....

No comments:

Post a Comment