Wednesday, April 16, 2014

2 years, by the numbers

George Bellows - Stag at Sharkey's
Today marks the 2 year anniversary from my first (stage III) cancer diagnosis--go me!  In honor of this occasion, besides patting myself on the back just for being here, I've decided to do a "by the numbers" of the past 2 years of medical things.

In the past 2 years there have been:
  • 420 days between ending active treatment for stage III and being officially diagnosed with stage IV
  • 394 days wearing my lymphedema glove and sleeve (I usually don't have trouble as long as I wear them, so it looks like my hand and arm have problems but it's not really so bad at all)
  • 393 days on Tamoxifen 
  • 220 days of full or partial baldness
  • 116 days between first appointment about the hip pain to stage IV diagnosis (time included multiple types of scans, several appointments and a biopsy)
  • 46 days of radiation therapy (28 to the mastectomy site in 2012, 18 of 20 to the hip this time around)
  • 8 doses of chemo (given over 16 weeks)
  • 8 tasty pastries because my husband bought them for us during each and every chemo
  • 8 injections of Neulasta (to increase white blood cells the day after chemo, and a huge thank you to my in-laws who picked me up and drove me to 7 of the 8, only missing the one that coincided with their grandson's out of town wedding.  Zero is the number of in-law jokes you'll ever hear from me because mine are the good kind of in-laws)
  • 7 days in the hospital
  • 5 surgical procedures (bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, port in, unrelated to cancer kidney stone that they blasted and took out through a hole in my back--some girls have all the luck!, port out, reconstruction revision)
  • 5 kinds of pain killers (strangely enough, some work better for different kinds of pain than others, who knew?)
  • 4 CT scans (not including the radiation oncology planning or the CT guided biopsy, because enough is enough, and besides, if you aren't drinking barium smoothies, it probably doesn't count)
  • 4 cancer pathology reports (1 for each biopsy, 1 from the surgical sample, 1 from Dana Farber)
  • 4 Faslodex injections (but given 2 at each appointment)
  • 3 MRIs (breast, brain, spine)
  • 3 flu shots (much less time consuming than those MRIs)
  • 2 genes not found to be mutated (those BRCA1 and 2 genes you sometimes read about)
  • 2 PET-CT scans
  • 2 cancer diagnoses (stage III and stage IV, same cancer, though)
  • 2 clinical trials (actually enrolled, 2 more that didn't pan out) 
  • 2 Xgeva injections
  • 2 X-Ray studies (I think one or both of those studies was more than one view, but I'm not going to quibble)
  • 1 biopsy (this is the bone biopsy for the IV diagnosis, the core needle ones for the stage III were, of course, before that diagnosis)
  • 1 echocardiogram
  • 1 wig
  • 1 ER visit
  • 1 bone scan
  • 1 Lupron injection
  • and definitely more appointments than I care to count
But, on the other hand, worth noting that over the same 2 years there have been:
  • 1 school play
  • 1 first house for my stepson and daugher-in-law
  • 1 well deserved promotion for my stepdaughter
  • 1 new grill for my husband and the will to use it often
  • 2 birthdays for me
  • 2 birthdays for my husband
  • 2 birthdays each for my daughter, stepkids, daughter-in-law
  • 2 wedding anniversaries
  • 2 summer gardens
  • 2 Christmases
  • 2 Easters
  • 2 of every other holiday big and small
  • 2.5 youth sports seasons
  • 3 visits from my out of town stepson, including 2 surprise visits because these kids are awesome that way
  • 731 days of being alive 
Because I am still here and that is 2 years (and counting) where cancer doesn't get to win.

Take that, stupid cancer, take that.







2 comments:

  1. Thank you Kate. I just caught up on the last few weeks and this last post made me cry. Thank you for sharing, being vulnerable, real and honest. Thank you for helping me put life in perspective. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa (and sorry about the tears), it's really kind of you to say. And looking forward to getting together again soon, too!

      Delete