Sunday, May 31, 2015

A little bit of housekeeping

Two quick things: a correction and an option.

The correction: On my last post, I mentioned that the results of the PALOMA-3 with news on whether Ibrance is helpful in Overall Survival (how long people live) in addition to Progression Free Survival (how long till the cancer evolves around it and grows again) are expected to be presented at ASCO this weekend.

This is not actually true! 

It's sort of half true, but that doesn't count for much.  The actual truth is that the results of PALOMA-3 will be (or have been) presented at ASCO this weekend, but those are aren't Overall Survival (OS) for Ibrance and letrozole.  They're actually Progression Free Survival (PFS) of Ibrance and Faslodex--the results are very good, and Ibrance more than doubled PFS over Faslodex alone, from a median of  3.8 months to 9.2 months, which is, as I understand it, an almost unheard level of improvement in cancer drug development.  It's similar to the improvement found with Ibrance and letrozole over letrozole alone and all points to Ibrance being a really big deal in the treatment of hormone receptor positive metastatic breast cancer.  A huge big deal.

For me, personally, it's probably not that useful since I've already flunked out of Faslodex, but it will be big for a lot of women in the future, so that's really good news.

The study results I was thinking of about Overall Survival with Ibrance and Letrozole are actually Phase III of the PALOMA-2 trial (not phase II of the PALOMA-3 trial, but maybe you can see where I went wrong there!) are due out in October.  And I'm still anxiously awaiting those, though even more anxiously awaiting getting to the my next scans and seeing how Ibrance and Letrozole are working for me!


And the option:  I've just made a Facebook page for this blog for people who like to use Facebook to follow blogs.  If that's you, here you go!  You can go directly to www.facebook.com/mepluscancer or click the Facebook icon to the top left, and (either way) "like" the page.

If that's not you, or you just don't want to follow this one there, no worries.  And I promise this is the last I'll mention it.  And there will be no "give-aways and please, please, please like it" posts.  Because I don't like those.  And also, this is a blog about metastatic cancer so what exactly would I give away, anyhow? (Can you see it now?  300th person to like it gets an empty bottle of letrozole, 400th gets an Ativan info sheet and an empty bottle of Ibrance--whoot!)


No comments:

Post a Comment