Saturday, August 22, 2015

The upside of insurance issues

Van Gough - Portrait of Dr. Gachet
(who, I'll grant you, was not a medical
doctor, but I think it still works)
I know that over the past week, this blog has turned into insurance gripe central, you one stop shopping place for all things problematic with insurance and specialty pharmacies.

It's been heavy on my mind over the last week and a half.  But now that my new Ibrance pill case is filled up and I'm 2 days into smashing back my CDK 4/6 action with Ibrance, I feel like it's important for me to acknowledge the upside of having these problems.

I live in one of the few countries where Ibrance is currently available and I have insurance to pay for it.

And that's a huge bright side.

At least as of last April, the Ibrance list price was around $11,000.  Per month.  Approximately $523 per pill for the 21 day course. Or $392 per day for the 28 day cycle.  And that's not even including the unused 125mg and 100mg pills I had to stop taking and not restart when my neutrophils tanked.

But I have insurance to cover it.  And even with the 20% copay from my prescription coverage, because I have commercial insurance I have access to Pfizer's copay assistance card which knocks that down to $10 a month for most of the year.

And even at $11,000 per cycle, this regime is not significantly more expensive than the Faslodex I was on.  And it's not more expensive than chemo or radiation therapy.  All of which were also covered by my insurance.

I doubt its more expensive than whatever I'll be on next, which should also be easily covered by my insurance.

Cancer is expensive.  I'm really, really (really!) lucky to have good insurance that pays for most of the scans, pills, injected drugs, doctor's visits, nursing care, lab work, and lymphedema compression garments that I burn through on a regular basis.

Good insurance with a low out-of-pocket yearly max and low deductibles.

And I'm even luckier that this insurance is through my husband's work and not mine, since I'm the one with the cancer.


I read about the Affordable Care Act/Obamacare, Medicare and Medicaid, insurance exchanges, Social Security disability, and all that related mess of things.  I try to understand it, but honestly? I usually get overwhelmed and give up.  And I'm not a stupid person.  It's complicated stuff and I have the great good fortune of not needing to understand it right now.

I wish I had the answers.  I wish I could use this platform to clear everything up and we could all go off dancing in sunshine and roses. I don't have that.

And I think it's important to at least acknowledge that I do know and I do understand that for all the grousing I've been doing lately about insurance an pharmacies, at least I have them to grouse about.  I'm grateful for that.  And I know there are lots of people who only wish they had such problems.

(Also, I promise, I'm going to try and write about something that isn't a downer next time. Things around here are really quite good, honest!)

No comments:

Post a Comment